BIOFUEL INFORMATION AND DEMONSTRATION CENTRE (BIDC)
This centre is one among the 32 information and demonstration centres instituted by Karnataka State Biofuel Development Board (KSBDB) in Karnataka. This centre receives an annual grant of Rs.7.9 lakhs from KSBDB for the activities. This centre is responsible for production of biodiesel from various non-edible oil seeds and used cooking oil available in Udupi District, create awareness, disseminate information about biofuels amongst the scientific community, students, farmers and public and give demonstration, and provide technical know-how about biodiesel production. The centre was established inthe year 2011 with a building space of 1200 sq.ft.
ABOUT BIO DEISEL
Biodiesel can be produced by any oil but Karnataka Biofuel Policy restricts it to non-edible oil and waste oil. More than 150 species of non-edible oil yielding species have been identified by Karnataka State Biofuel Development Board ( KSBDB), most of which are region specific. The non- edible oil seed species that are grown in Udupi and the coastal region are Rubber seed, Honne (Calophyllum inophyllum), Nagachampa, Amura, Shanti (Terminalia bellerica), Naikuli or Buguri (Sclerophyllum pentadrum) and many more. These seeds are already available in large quantities in coastal region and are having no or minimal commercial application. These seeds are potential feed stock for biodiesel production. Aforementioned seeds are purchased from farmers for a reasonable price.
SUPPORT FROM KSBDB
Karnataka State Biofuel Development Board (KSBDB), Bengaluru sponsored the establishment of the Biofuel Information and Demonstration Centre in the premises of NMAMIT at Nitte and is run by the Department of Biotechnology Engineering. This centre is the Udupi district BIDC.
This centre is one among the 32 Information and Demonstration Centres instituted by KSBDB in Karnataka.
Inauguration of UBIDC at Nitte
The BIDC at Nitte has a capacity of producing 50 liters of biodiesel per batch which requires about 10-12 working hours. Biodiesel is produced through a chemical reaction called as trans-esterification. The oil is first extracted through a mechanical expeller. The oil is then treated with methanol at 60oC in presence of sodium hydroxide. Then produced biodiesel is separated and purified for engine use. UBIDC also houses a testing lab for Biodiesel testing where major 5 parameters (Acid value, Viscosity, Density, Flash point and Copper strip corrosion) are tested. Biodiesel can be used in any diesel engine without modification and biodiesel can be used in blending with mineral diesel. Biodiesel can be used in vehicles, DG sets, tractors, pump sets etc.
Production Unit (50 litre capacity)ACTIVITIES
The activities of BIDC are:
- Awareness Camps
- Workshop/Training at BIDC
- Research and other activities
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS
1. KSCST-KSBDB special funding for undergraduate Biofuel research project are as follows:
- 2009-An investigation into efficacy of Bioethanol production from different sources of biomass.
- 2010 - An Investigation into Bioethanol production from unconventional Bioresources.
- 2012- Bioethanol production from agricultural lignocellulosic residues using Pichia spp.
2. FKCCI (Federation of Karnataka Chamber of Commerce and Industry) awarded Cash prize of Rs. 50,000/- and a Rolling Trophy for a student project on “Economics of Bioethanol Production from Unconventional Agricultural Biomass”
3. FKCCI (Federation of Karnataka Chamber of Commerce and Industry) awarded Cash prize of Rs. 50,000/ and a Rolling Trophy for a student project on “An investigation into Bioethanol Production from Unconventional Bioresources”. The award was presented by Shri APJ Abdul Kalam, honorable former President of India.
4. KSCST-KSBDB funded project entitled Production of biodiesel from unconventional feedstock of Udupi district was awarded a consolation prize of Rs. 50,000 under special category biofuel project in the year 2012.